The Dispatch is a newly-launched media company providing fact-driven news and commentary on politics, policy and culture – guided by conservative principles. In an information environment operating at hyperspeed, we aim to slow down the news cycle, to publish thoughtful and engaging articles meant to explain and inform. We bring a perspective – we’re conservatives, classical liberals, libertarians – but we’re fiercely independent, standing apart from media outlets increasingly engaged in partisan boosterism. The Dispatch has three primary editorial products – newsletters, podcasts and a website – and we’re building robust community and events programs. We aim to show that good journalism can be a good business.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Fact Checker is a full-time role responsible for contributing to The Dispatch Fact Check. The Fact Checker should be an intellectually curious individual who enjoys a fast-paced and collegial environment. This position will be considered remote at this time, but the arrangement may change in the future.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• To keep continuously abreast of developments in national and international politics, science, and culture
• To be able to quickly analyze a statement or story for factual errors, logical flaws, and significant omissions
• To be able to efficiently examine claims for veracity or falsehoods and, where necessary, to identify additional documents and/or sources
• To be able to quickly read those documents, interview those subjects, and accurately distill relevant information
• Report fact checking findings in a compelling, concise, and clear manner
• To work effectively with a team of editors, staff writers, and reporters across the company
Skills and Qualifications:
• 1 year minimum of reporting experience required
• A strong understanding of ethical reporting standards and practices
• Strong attention to detail, and devotion to truth telling
• Familiarity with American politics, media, conservatism/classical liberalism
Based In: Washington, D.C, New York or anywhere
Benefits: Our growing roster of benefits includes:
Health insurance (80% paid for individuals)
FSA and HSA
Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Cell phone benefit
How To Apply:
Submit your resume, here
We’re committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.